Somos Cacao

How Long Does Alcohol Stay in Urine?

During a blood test, the phlebotomist draws a small amount of blood to assess the sample for multiple purposes. Blood screenings can spot alcohol in the system for weeks after the patient’s last drink. Alcoholism, also called alcohol use disorder,occurswhen alcohol use becomes compulsive. Recovery from alcohol and drug addiction is possible, for you or a loved one.

Working out while intoxicated can also increase your risk of injury. The length of time that alcohol is in your blood depends on how much you have used. A single drink may only be present for as little as three hours, while a night of binge drinking could result in alcohol remaining in your blood for up to 24 hours. It would be very uncommon to find alcohol in your blood after 24 hours, even with heavy alcohol use.

Different Types of Drug Tests That Alcohol Will Show Up

Eating before drinking, and continuing to snack while you consume alcohol, will slow the absorption and reduce its impact, but prolong the detection period. Also, how an alcohol test is performed affects how long it shows alcohol in the system. At the same time, alcohol can show up in urine, saliva, and breath for 12 to 24 hours.


The best way to prevent alcohol poisoning is to avoid binge drinking and to drink alcohol in moderation. It is also important to avoid drinking on an empty stomach, as this can increase the risk of alcohol poisoning. If you suspect someone has alcohol poisoning, it is important to call 911 and get medical help right away. Drinking too much alcohol in a short period of time can lead to several dangerous side effects, including alcohol poisoning. This condition is caused by the body being overwhelmed by the amount of alcohol in the bloodstream and can cause a range of serious health problems and even death. The minute you take in and drink alcohol, the metabolization process starts.

Boisson Co-Founder Nick Bodkins shares his sober curious journey

EtG tests may be positive in people who don’t drink but use something that contains alcohol, such as mouthwash. EtG tests can include hair, blood, urine and even fingernails. The length of time that it remains detectable depends on how it is tested for.

Does alcohol affect a 24 hour urine test?

Do not consume any alcoholic beverages during the 24-hour collection period. Also, please limit your consumption of beverages containing caffeine during this time.

Typically, alcohol is present in hair up to 90 days after the last drink. In this case, the test will help verify that they have not consumed any alcohol. It’s worrying that 1 in 20 (5%) think it’s safe to drink 4 alcoholic drinks and drive. But as a general rule, 2 pints of regular-strength lager or 2 small glasses of wine could put you over the limit. For more information, check out our alcohol unit calculator. Your liver is responsible for breaking down the majority of alcohol in your body.

Alcohol Detection Window and Specific Types of Tests

“Excretion of how to flush alcohol from urine in urine and diures[…] time after drinking.” Forensic Science International, April 1990. EtG, or ethyl glucuronide, is a byproduct of alcohol that can be detected using aurine sample. While 90% to 95% of alcohol is broken down by the liver, the remaining 5% to 10% will be eliminated in other ways, primarily through the lungs, sweat and urine.


It moves through your digestive system and other organs, including the all-important liver, where it starts to metabolize. Once alcohol has entered your system, the only thing you can do is let time do its work. Drinking water, sleeping, or drinking caffeine does not remove alcohol from the blood, and will not speed up the process of getting alcohol out of the system. Once alcohol is in the bloodstream, it can only be eliminated by dehydrogenase, sweat, urine, and breath. A glass of wine versus grain alcohol has a different alcohol concentration, affecting how alcohol is metabolized.

Translate »